This gives the students a sense of belonging and also pride in their homeroom.
- construction paper
- star tracers
- pencils, crayons, markers
- Have each child color and decorate a star with their first name printed across the middle.
- Hang just outside the classroom with a banner that reads “Stars of Room 3” or “Bright Stars of Room 3”.
- Tell the students every single day, that they are your “stars”. Tell them that you’ve never had a class of students who shine as brightly as they do. Make them proud to be in your classroom. Make them proud to be one of the classroom family.
- I’ve noticed that students become very protective of their classroom family and take more pride in keeping the classroom neat and tidy. There are fewer ‘put-downs’ and fewer problems because they are all taking responsibility for being ‘shining stars’. This activity works for all elementary grades K to 6. The older students will spend longer decorating their stars but they will all be very proud to have them displayed.
By: SHIRLEY BAKALA
KAMLOOPS, BRITISH COLUMBIA, CANADA