TEACHER SURVIVAL KITS & STUDENT WELCOME BAGS
Have a student teacher or a secret pal? Give him/her this little survival kit. Place all items in a brown lunch bag along with this handout:
- 1. When it spills, wipe it (paper towel)
- 2. When it cries or sneezes, dry it (tissue)
- 3. When it bleeds bandage it (Band-Aid)
- 4. When it needs a hug and a kiss, give it (candy kiss)
- 5. When it rips, pin it (safety pin)
- 6. When it’s sour, sweeten it (pack of sugar)
- 7. When it’s wrong, erase it (eraser)
- 8. When it pounds, soothe it (aspirin)
- 9. When it hurts, grin and “bear” it (bear sticker)
- 10. When it’s important, write it down (note pad sheet)
- 11. When it’s a good day, chalk it up (piece of chalk)
- 12. When it’s a bad day, ask God for strength and hope for a better day tomorrow (nothing is found in the survival kit for this need – it comes only from the heart and soul of the teacher).
- 13. When it’s gossip, cut it out and dispose of it (word gossip on a sheet of paper with cutting dashes around it)
- Place the items described below in a brown lunch bag and include this handout:
- The items in this bag have special meaning:
- The cotton ball is to remind you that this room is full of kind words and warm feelings.
- The chocolate kiss is to comfort you when you are feeling sad.
- Â The tissue is to remind you to help dry someone’s tears.
- Â The sticker is to remind you that we all stick together and help each other.
- Â The star is to remind you to shine and always try your best.
- Â The gold thread is to remind you that friendship ties our hearts together.
- Â The rubber band is to remind you to hug someone.
- Â The penny is to remind you that you are valuable and special.
- Â The toothpick is to remind you to “pick out” the good qualities in your classmates.
- Â The bandage is to heal hurt feelings in your friends and in yourself.
- Â The eraser is to remind you that we all make mistakes, and that is O.K.
- Â The life saver is to remind you that you can come to me if you need someone to talk to.
By:Â ROCHELLE CHENOWETH
ELKINS MIDDLE SCHOOL